- EU Projects
- Contact Us
Setting a Website Goal
Setting your website goal is the most important step in the whole process of planning your website.
HOW TO SET YOUR WEBSITE GOAL
The most important step in the whole planning process.
1. A website without a goal is like a ship without a rudder
2. We cannot change what we cannot measure. The only way you can tell your website is successful is to have an effective goal.
3. First ask yourself: Am I sure I need a website? Perhaps there is another way of getting it done.
4. The WORST REASON to make a website is: “To have a presence on the Internet”
5. Consider the following 3 points
* If you are a business… … your website should be a key part of your business strategy
* If your presence is entirely online… Website goal = Business goal …then your website goal will be the same as your business goal
* Whoever you are, ensure you have the time and/or budget to continually promote your website once it is “finished”
6. What is your website going to do for you? Set a SMART goal
Specific | Measurable | Achievable | Relevant | Time-bound
7. Specific - Is the goal stated clearly and unambiguously?
* Who, what, when, where, why?
* A minimum of words
* Clear to everyone involved in your website
8. Measurable - Can the goal be measured?
* Remember, we cannot change what we cannot measure
* Ensure a monitoring system can be put in place to measure progress
9. Achievable - Is the goal realistic?
* Your goal should be challenging, but not impossible
* If your goal is too demanding, you will quickly lose heart
10. Relevant - Does the goal fit in with your wider goals?
* Will your goal take you forward in the bigger picture?
11. Time-Bound - Does the goal have a deadline?
* Without a due date, you can put off the goal forever
* There is nothing like urgency to get something done
12. Examples of good website goals:
* To increase email subscription numbers by 50% within 6 months
* To attract 10 new online requests for services per week
* To sell products online with a total value of US$5,000 per month
13. You’ve now seen how to set a website goal. This is the FIRST STEP in the process of good website design.
14. Need Help? Ask the experts at guiding you through website development.
You can also check the reference here.